Ms Crowley’s first class were ona maths trail today in the school. They were counting, looking for shapes and colours, sorting problems while having lots of FUN.
Why do maths trails ???
- Encourages mathematical thinking and talking
- Encourages problem solving
- The emphasis is on the journey through a problem rather than the answer
- Facilitates group work and working collaboratively together
- Active learners – the learning is in the doing!
- Familiarises children with their surroundings
- Trails emphasise the practical application of maths to the world around them
- Maths is linked to everything in society –helps children make this link
- Allows children to take responsibility for learning