Commencing Monday the 21st – 25th of October Book week is on in St Declan’s. Books and reading are very important to us here in St Declan’s therefore during Book week lots of wonderful activities are planned,. for example
- Sixth class will visit the library to hear from authors and learn about writing stories,
- Community readers will read to all classes on Wednesday
- Senior infant and Junior Infants will have a big bed time story and come to school in their pyjamas
- Friday children will be encouraged to dress up as their favourite character from a book.
- Infants will have a fancy dress parade on Friday
- Senior classes will be paired with a younger class. This will facilitate a paired reading or adopt a buddy reading activity.
Other activities include
- book swaps
- Design a book cover/bookmark
- DEAR time- drop everything and read
- Book quiz/word search
- Make a poster advert for a book
- Plus much much more.
Shared reading will commence with senior infants and paired reading will commence in second class. Parent are invited to attend a meeting to find out more about these reading strategies or have a look here.